The Departments of Mathematics of the UP Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies (FAMNIT), and UP Andrej Marušič Institute (IAM), are seeking a top early-career researcher for a postdoctoral position in the area of structural and algorithmic graph theory, in connection with a research grant of Prof. Dr. Martin Milanič "Tree-Independence Number of Graphs" funded by the Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS).
The project will investigate several key problems within pure and algorithmic graph theory, with a focus on graph classes and graph width parameters, including the tree-independence number of graphs. Progress is expected to be obtained using an effective combination of various complementary concepts and techniques suitable for the study of graph classes, such as graph decompositions, structural characterizations of graphs in hereditary graph classes, graph minors and other inclusion relations, classical and parameterized graph algorithms and complexity, Ramsey theory, extremal graph theory, etc.
The successful candidate will be part of the Departments of Mathematics at UP FAMNIT and UP IAM, and will work under the guidance of Prof. Dr. Martin Milanič.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- The position is for two years, with the possibility of renewal for a third year (depending on performance and budget availability).
- Applicants must possess (or expect to obtain shortly) a PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related area, and show evidence of excellence in discrete mathematics or theoretical computer science. Candidates who completed their PhD recently or will do so by next September are encouraged to apply.
- Relevant expertise in structural and algorithmic graph theory is required, including a solid knowledge of various aspects of graph theory, algorithms, and computational complexity theory.
- The position will require teaching of at most two courses per year.
- The postdoctoral researcher will have access to a certain amount of funding for travel, conferences, and visitors.
- The compensation is set according to the academic title by Slovenian law governing higher education and is expected to be about 1630 EUR / month after tax, which can increase to about 1730 EUR / month after the first 6 months (if the tax residency status is obtained).
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled, beginning 10 January 2023. The starting date is flexible, but preferably not later than October 2023.
To apply, please send the following documents in electronic form directly to Martin Milanič (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “University of Primorska Postdoc 2023" in the Subject field:
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Publication List,
- Research Statement,
- Copies of at most three recent papers or preprints,
- Names and e-mail addresses of two or three persons who can be contacted for reference (and who have agreed to be contacted).
Informal inquiries may be directed to Martin Milanic (email@example.com).